Why are we doing this?
- To promote healthy socialization amongst campers
- To help teach and enhance communication skills
- To enable children to make meaningful bonds with people face to face
- To enable staff to build a better cabin and edah community
In short, we are doing this because, like other Ramah camps and Ontario camps, we believe that unplugging over the summer enhances our connections: to each other and to our surroundings.
What is the Policy for campers?
- Campers are not permitted to bring any devices to camp that are capable of playing games, watching movies, downloading data or being used as a telephone. This includes: Cell/Smart phones, iPods, iPads, laptops, any gaming device, E-books of any kind.
- If these devices are found in camp, they will be confiscated.
- Campers who require a phone for travel to and from camp will be required to turn in their phone before entering camp – the phone will be returned at the end of the session.
- The only acceptable devices at camp are MP3/MP4 players (screen free). Here are some examples of acceptable devices:
(If your child requires an MP3/MP4 player and you are unable to purchase one, please let us know and we are happy to provide one.)
- Digital Cameras are permitted.
For camps, technology is a quandry. It is integral part of our lives, yet it can also be pervasive and all-consuming. At camp, where we aim to strengthen interpersonal connection, growth, and independence, technology simply get in the way. For two months, we want to protect our campers’ ability to play and engage unencumbered by a device. Thank you in advance for your help in supporting and implementing this policy.